Saturday, June 6, 2009

Little Hillbilly Hermit...

A hermit (from the Greek ἔρημος ēremos, signifying "desert", "uninhabited", hence "desert-dweller"; adjective: "eremitic") is a person who lives to some greater or lesser degree in seclusion and/or isolation from society.

This past week, I have somewhat gone into hiding. I have been by no means a full fledged hermit... but..... I have been on phone strike. It rings, I do not answer it. I get messages, I do not return them. It isn't that I no longer like my friends, it isn't that my phone services have been disconnected, I am just on strike. It seems that everytime I am on the phone, Hurricane Caillou goes through my house, leaving a path of destruction. It got me thinking... . Am I really on the phone long enough for you to make this big of a mess? What could I be better doing with my time? What am I talking about on the phone that is so improtant. Not that chatting on the phone with friends and family isn't wonderful, but it does consume a lot of time out of the day. Now granted, I am a full time mama, and my world revolves around my kids, and I shouldn't guilt trip myself for a little ME time, however, I am just plain bored with being on the phone. I want to spend my ME time a little more creatively... sewing, painting, crafting, scrapbooking, baking, gardening the things that make me feel good inside at the end of the day. The things that make me feel like, wow, today I was an awesome mama, I taught my children good things, I made some yummy treats, and even found time for a little creativity. I want to go to bed with a feeling of having accomplished more with my day. Too often, I lay in bed thinking, tomorrow I will make this, tomorrow I will sew that, tomorrow I will paint the treehouse,tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow..... Another reason why I have gone on phone strike.... usually the topic of my conversation is about the crappy things going on in my life, I wear my heart on my sleeve, and hang all my problems out on the clothesline for everyone to see. Granted I know it isn't good to bottle up my feelings, and sometimes it is good to talk things out, but there is no point in talking about the same stuff over and over and over again. I am smart enough to know that not talking about my life's problems wont make them disappear, but it also doesn't do much to help me keep on the sunny side of things. So, I am not dwelling on the negative, I am focusing on the positive, I am going to make the most of each and every day, and spend my time more wisely. I am going to make an effort to visit with friends face to face more often. I am going to spend more time doing the things I love, playing with my babies, making them laugh, baking sweet smelling yummies, growing gardens, sewing skirts, journaling about my life with my two wonderful boys in my perfect little house! Don't worry y'all I wont become such a hermit that I will never update my blog. My blogging and journalling go hand in hand, I am keeping record of all my crazy adventures, so that one day my boys can read all about their silly old mama and all the little things we did together.

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas! We all need to check ourselves now and then to make sure we are on track.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed this today. I often do the same thing. I know that I could use my time more wisely. But it can be hard to get out of this rut. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Ashley, I have the same thing in my house with Strauss, if I'm on the phone he makes quite the mess. I just started turning the ringer off and answering only important messages! Away with the phone already! Hope you find lots of time tomorrow for sewing, playing, crafting, baking and homemaking, you are a sweetheart...

    ReplyDelete